Go Back   Movie Vault Forums > The Industry > Actors, Directors, and Professionals

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-10-2011
Contributing Staff

*Unmemorable* Woody Allen

In a new documentary to be screened sometime in 2011, Woody Allen (who is at Cannes right now)says that none of his movies will stand the test of time. I havent seen a lot of his movies (ANNIE HALL, TAKE THE MONEY & RUN, this sex spoof thingie where he plays a sperm) -- but its true, none of them stayed wid me very long. Whut do you think of Woody Allen's place in the pantheon of great directors?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2011/...de-documentary
Old 05-10-2011
Super Moderator

Interiors, and Annie Hall are films I adore by the director. Interiors is one to see, especially if you are a fan of Ingmar Bergman, strong strong influence on Woody Allen.

Not too keen on his later works from the 00s. Not surprised he says none of his films will stand the test of time, he has always been like that. Annie Hall will stand the test of time at least.
Old 05-10-2011
Contributing Staff

I remember this scene! One of the Longest, Most expressive reaction shots ever by Gene Wilder, Im sure!
Old 05-11-2011
Super Moderator

His latest film showing at Cannes, Midnight in Paris, is getting rather good reviews, even with Owen Wilson in the lead. Looks a stunning film, especially the concept, can't wait to see this one. Even a cameo acting turn by Carla Bruni. Paris, yum.

Old 05-13-2011
C-List Celebrity

I fucking LOATHE this insect, but as much as I would love to believe this, it's a crock of shit. Woody Allen is one of the most influential filmmakers of the modern era and certainly one of the most influential comedians.

-Alec Baldwin
Old 05-14-2011
Investor

I've only seen Match Point, which i was impressed by, but he does seem like a very polarized director.
Old 05-14-2011
Super Moderator

I've enjoyed every Woody Allen movie I've seen and think he's one of the best directors of all time. To each his own.
Old 05-14-2011
A-List Celebrity

I'm a huge fan of his earlier comedic work, Love & Death for example is fantastic and possibly my favourite of his. My enjoyment of his directorial output lasts up to about, Manhattan. After that, with a few notable exceptions (Crimes and Misdemeanors, Deconstructing Harry etc) the majority of his work has been entirely unremarkable when compared with what came before.

I'm also a big fan of Play It Again, Sam. Which for the longest time I had assumed he'd also directed, but no.
Old 05-15-2011
Seasonal Actor

When it comes to Woody Allen, i always had a problem choosing between Manhattan and Annie Hall as his best film. So recently i watched both of them, and i came to the conclusion that Annie Hall is my personal favourite.
Old 06-04-2011
Movie-Vault Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt68 View Post
I fucking LOATHE this insect, but as much as I would love to believe this, it's a crock of shit. Woody Allen is one of the most influential filmmakers of the modern era and certainly one of the most influential comedians.
his influence on others isn't necessarily what he's talking about.

I think he's saying that 20 years from now, people won't be interested in watching his movies... film fanatics / critics / students aside.

it might be more a commentary on film viewers changing instead of his movies.