LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-10-2011
C-List Celebrity

WALL-E

Lovely.
Just lovely.
The plot:
Spoiler
WALL-E, a rubbish processing robot, lives a lonely, simple life on an abandoned Earth of the future, pottering around collecting up the litter and debris and compacting it into small cubes. One day, a ship descends and from it emerges a new robot, EVE. After some initial confusion and the occasional laser blast, the robots seem to be getting along, right up to the moment EVE is exposed to a small plant, at which point she sticks it in her chest and seems to deactivate.
Confused, WALL-E tries to bring her round, unsuccessfully. Then, suddenly, the ship returns and takes EVE away, but WALL-E manages to clamber aboard, and the race is on to save EVE and discover just what was so important about that small piece of vegetation.

Beautifully animated, this is thoughtful, warm, truly heart-aching stuff.
Normally, when something is considered family friendly and 'life-affirming' (shudder) my bile gland goes into overdrive, but here, it was impossible not to be enchanted.
Incredibly, for a movie aimed at kids primarily, there are very few lines of dialogue, most of the plot development done by visuals alone, be it action scenes or the expressionism of the robot creations themselves.
After being burnt by Toy Story 1 way back when - I HATED that - I have been giving Pixar a wide berth but, with Finding Nemo and now WALL-E, I'm starting to get the feeling my prejudices may have been misplaced and that, far from being pale shadows of the mastery of Hayao 'Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away' Miyazaki, maybe, just maybe, Pixar are worth another look.
Excellent, indeed.

5 out of 5
Old 01-10-2011
Movie Extra

Send a message via AIM to KleptoKangar0o
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosefus View Post
Lovely.
Just lovely.
The plot:
Spoiler
WALL-E, a rubbish processing robot, lives a lonely, simple life on an abandoned Earth of the future, pottering around collecting up the litter and debris and compacting it into small cubes. One day, a ship descends and from it emerges a new robot, EVE. After some initial confusion and the occasional laser blast, the robots seem to be getting along, right up to the moment EVE is exposed to a small plant, at which point she sticks it in her chest and seems to deactivate.
Confused, WALL-E tries to bring her round, unsuccessfully. Then, suddenly, the ship returns and takes EVE away, but WALL-E manages to clamber aboard, and the race is on to save EVE and discover just what was so important about that small piece of vegetation.

Beautifully animated, this is thoughtful, warm, truly heart-aching stuff.
Normally, when something is considered family friendly and 'life-affirming' (shudder) my bile gland goes into overdrive, but here, it was impossible not to be enchanted.
Incredibly, for a movie aimed at kids primarily, there are very few lines of dialogue, most of the plot development done by visuals alone, be it action scenes or the expressionism of the robot creations themselves.
After being burnt by Toy Story 1 way back when - I HATED that - I have been giving Pixar a wide berth but, with Finding Nemo and now WALL-E, I'm starting to get the feeling my prejudices may have been misplaced and that, far from being pale shadows of the mastery of Hayao 'Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away' Miyazaki, maybe, just maybe, Pixar are worth another look.
Excellent, indeed.

5 out of 5
:O you hated toy story?!? but whhhy?
Old 01-10-2011
A-List Celebrity

It seems as if Wall-E was on every night last week.

I'm glad you enjoyed it, in my opinion it probably is Pixar's masterpiece. Gorgeous to look at and just wonderfully plotted.

Up is also worth a look, although it might be a little too life affirming for you.
Old 01-10-2011
Actor by Day, Waiter by Night

I like movies like Wall-E, or other animation movies like Shrek.
Especially in full-HD, so pretty
Old 01-10-2011
C-List Celebrity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tosti View Post
I like movies like Wall-E, or other animation movies like Shrek.
Especially in full-HD, so pretty
I'll go all Aron Ralston on my right arm before I watch Shrek again.
Old 01-10-2011
C-List Celebrity

Quote:
Originally Posted by KleptoKangar0o View Post
:O you hated toy story?!? but whhhy?
Every agonising moment was torture.
You know how your eyeballs have a coating of fluid, that allows them to roll freely around in the socket?
Watching Toy Story was like that fluid had been removed and, in it's place, formic acid had been squirted. Each time I rolled my eyes to look elsewhere on the cinema screen, a fresh agony awaited, a fresh horror.
And then they started singing......
Old 01-10-2011
C-List Celebrity

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPepper21 View Post

Up is also worth a look, although it might be a little too life affirming for you.
I'll still give it a go.
In fact, I have pledged to the good woman here at Smell the Cult HQ that we can watch the entire back catalogue if she so desires.
Truthfully, I feel nothing but fear at the prospect.
Old 01-10-2011
Super Moderator

WALL.E is just a beautiful film. My favourite moment in the entire film is when he gently puts his hand through one of the rings of Saturn. Lovely.
Old 01-10-2011
C-List Celebrity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelicula View Post
WALL.E is just a beautiful film. My favourite moment in the entire film is when he gently puts his hand through one of the rings of Saturn. Lovely.
That was a beautiful moment. Epic.
Old 01-10-2011
Movie Extra

Send a message via AIM to KleptoKangar0o
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosefus View Post
Every agonising moment was torture.
You know how your eyeballs have a coating of fluid, that allows them to roll freely around in the socket?
Watching Toy Story was like that fluid had been removed and, in it's place, formic acid had been squirted. Each time I rolled my eyes to look elsewhere on the cinema screen, a fresh agony awaited, a fresh horror.
And then they started singing......
perhaps there was a problem with the theaters air conditiong and not toy storys fault ;D