Go Back   Movie Vault Forums > Movie Discussion > General Movie Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-03-2010
Studio Executive

My favorite horror movie of all time is - and laugh if you absolutely must - Exorcist II: The Heretic, directed by John Boorman in 1977, and starring Richard Burton as Father Philip Lamont.

Granted, that's an extremely perverse choice given the fact that it's been almost universally derided as the all-time worst horror sequel in relation to the original. But I think that the people who would appreciate it most are fans of John Boorman's other work (Point Blank, Deliverance, Excalibur, Hope And Glory), and that people who base their expectations on William Friedkin's original The Exorcist from 1973 will be severely disappointed.

Actually, The Heretic has quite a few admirers from unexpected quarters. The New Yorker's Pauline Kael, herself no admirer of the classic Friedkin original, stated that The Heretic had enough visual imagination for ten movies, but suffered from a lack of discipline. And believe it or not, Martin Scorsese is also a fan!

After The Heretic, I'd have to say that I'm a huge fan of Stanley Kubrick's 1980 film version of Stephen King's The Shining. As with The Heretic, that's a film that can be a potential disappointment for fans of the original source material, because Kubrick - although he very closely follows the basic story outline - is very loose with King's novel.

I'm also a huge fan of Clive Barker's Hellraiser, from 1987, based on his own short story The Hellbound Heart. It's really quite amazing to think that Pinhead (Doug Bradley) has only a small amount of screen time, and at that point didn't even have the name "Pinhead," just the title of "Lead Cenobite."
Old 09-03-2010
Banned

@ Peli: Well yeah but if you're gonna base an entire movie off of mental illness, you should at least try to gain an understanding of the topic, or else it just makes the film flooded with lies, and wheter intentional or not, it will fuel stereotypes against the mentally ill. When you're making a movie, you've got the responsibilty to portray the subject accurately.

B0B: I see - The movie's like that because it's based off of a story that's even more devoid of downright gore than this. In the original story, the girl doesn't even meet Candyman until the VERY end, so a lot of the entertainment relies on not knowing when he'll appear. Also, what made the movie so special in my eyes was the masterful beginning and ending - I loved everything about it, I own it on DVD, and it was one of the first horrors I saw, so it has alot of nostalgic value attached to it. But we can just say this is a difference in taste.
Old 09-03-2010
Investor

I would say My Sisters Keeper was a mental illness film and it is one of the best films i've ever seen. It brought me to to floods of tears!
Old 09-03-2010
Super Moderator

Yes. Leukemia is not a mental illness.
Old 09-04-2010
Investor

Oh sorry, i thought it was. Actually can anyone provide me a link with a definition?
Old 09-04-2010
Super Moderator

Of what Leukemia? Simply put, it's a form of cancer.
Old 09-04-2010
Investor

Oh no i didn't mean that, just a link to the definition of mental illness.
Old 09-05-2010
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyhiboy! View Post
Oh no i didn't mean that, just a link to the definition of mental illness.
This link explains mental illness.

Mental_Illness Mental_Illness
Old 09-11-2010
C-List Celebrity

Saw- although it is more of a thriller to me
Nightmare on Elm Street original and remake - I enjoyed the remake
Old 06-14-2011
Movie-Vault Newbie

Favourite horror movie?

One of my favourites is Feast trilogy, I just love how it seems to be how it would really happen, with all the clumsiness, and it has some of the funniest things I have ever seen! Also with the 'details' of each character when they are introduced are always funny!

Another one of my favourites must be Martyrs, I just love how it is so gruesome, yet it still has so much meaning and is a really deep film.

I have lots more but what are your favourites?

Timor

Last edited by Timor; 06-14-2011 at 09:58 AM.