Go Back   Movie Vault Forums > Movie Discussion > General Movie Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-31-2008
D-List Celebrity

Send a message via Yahoo to TONGO
Film vs Film

Lets pretend one is better for the sake of the thread, our forum community, and because arguing about movies can be fun too.

First topic...

Tombstone
or
Unforgiven

SPOILERS

For me you wanmt to say Unforgiven, but if you think about it Tombstone was just loaded with good scenes and performances. Freeman and Hackman were awesome in Unforgiven, but Kilmers performance as Doc Holiday was comparable to Anthony Hopkins' Hannibal Lector in Silence Of The Lambs.

Best ending goes to Unforgiven hands down. "but that didnt scare little Bill did it?!" as Eastwoods swiggin off the bottle getting his blood up, and everyone in the theatre watching Clint be a bumbler thru the film is rewarded completely with the real deal! That ending shows how Clint Eastwood is the only man on the planet on par with John Wayne.

Hackmans performance reinvented the bad guy, and Clints directing reinvented the western. Yeah Unforgiven is better for impact on film, but Tombstone was a blast entire. Kurt Russell, Sam Elliot, Bill Paxton, Val Kilmer, Michael Biehn, Powers Booth, and even ol Billy Bob Thornton delivered the best performances in each of their careers, AND ALL AT THE SAME TIME. That movie was an adrenaline rush, and laden with the best quotes in film.

Maybe a way to decide this is comparing Holidays "Im your hucleberry" scene against the ending to Unforgiven with Muney drunk. Idk. Your thoughts?

GO TO THE LAST PAGE TO VIEW CURRENT GAME

Last edited by Claireofthemoon; 11-25-2009 at 04:14 PM.
Old 08-31-2008
C-List Celebrity

No contest. It's not even fair.

Unforgiven>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Tombstone

-Alec Baldwin
Old 09-01-2008
Investor

Cool

I think unforgiven is the best.Time for another.Descent or Wrong turn.I think they are both as brilliant as each other,but if i had to go for one i would go for Wrong turn.What do you think?
Old 09-01-2008
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TONGO View Post
For me you want to say Unforgiven, but if you think about it Tombstone was just loaded with good scenes and performances. Freeman and Hackman were awesome in Unforgiven, but Kilmers performance as Doc Holiday was comparable to Anthony Hopkins' Hannibal Lector in Silence Of The Lambs.
I think all the performances were Fuckin'A in both films. Michael Biehn was brilliant in his role of Johnny Ringo. Kurt Russell's scene with Billy Bob was hands down one of the best one on one in the film on par with Ringo's gun twirling cinematics with Doc.

I say Tombstone did indeed have many enjoyable 'Hollywood' styled scenes but I'm going to give it to Unforgiven. It's realism by far out did Tombstone.

Quote:
Best ending goes to Unforgiven hands down.
Maybe a way to decide this is comparing Holidays "Im your huckleberry" scene against the ending to Unforgiven with Muney drunk. Idk. Your thoughts?
The "I'm Your Huckleberry" line everyone seems to remember heheh. I loved the part right after that though "Why Jonny Ringo. You look like someone's just walked all over your grave".

But again, Unforgiven gets the best ending of the two. Loved Gene Hackman's look when he realized what was about to happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyhiboy! View Post
I think unforgiven is the best.Time for another.

Lmao! Dude, you didn't even let it sit for a day. 'Tongo the Ape' may eat you alive if you don't watch it.

Quote:
Descent or Wrong turn.I think they are both as brilliant as each other,but if i had to go for one i would go for Wrong turn.What do you think?
Wrong Turn makes the Decent it's bitch.

The Decent's ending was just terrible. Hate it when a director pulls that crap. It's a lazy way of doing it for an ending of a film in my book.
Old 09-01-2008
Investor

Quote:
Wrong Turn makes the Decent it's bitch.

The Decent's ending was just terrible. Hate it when a director pulls that crap. It's a lazy way of doing it for an ending of a film in my book.
It was still a great movie.The ending was a little crap for a reason,so that the sequels plot could fit in with the ending of the first.The scares and the thrills in the movie well than make up for the sort of crappy ending.
Old 09-01-2008
Super Moderator

You had a bunch of skinny chicks kicking the crap out of these mutant like creatures with a tremendous amount of agility. I just don't buy it. It started off feeling realistic but it got more outrageous as it went along. And I understand mutants aren't realistic but I can suspend my belief for a tad while holding on to that feel as well.

But no, that ending was a lazy way to go about it. It's been done more than enough in films so I really expected better there.
Old 09-01-2008
Investor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escape View Post
You had a bunch of skinny chicks kicking the crap out of these mutant like creatures with a tremendous amount of agility. I just don't buy it. It started off feeling realistic but it got more outrageous as it went along. And I understand mutants aren't realistic but I can suspend my belief for a tad while holding on to that feel as well.

But no, that ending was a lazy way to go about it. It's been done more than enough in films so I really expected better there.
I thought it was oustanding.The fact that it was unpredictable and outrageous made it even better.As for the ending,i found it slightly crappy,but not shit.
Old 09-01-2008
D-List Celebrity

Send a message via Yahoo to TONGO
I agree with Escapes description of The Descent. Creepy factor goes to Descent, and I do think it was a little better. There were mistakes in Descent and though Wrong Turn played it safe that doesnt mean its better. Descent scared me more. They need a sequel to it to redeem that bleak ending, and actually there are alot of avenues they can realistically take for the sequel.

At MoFo they practically spit all over the thread denegrating Tombstone (teeny exagerration) , and one guy sent a private PM that he liked Tombstone! The public scorn would have been too great I guess. Perfect example of the differences to the Org and MoFo. Theyre snobby, and were cool as ice :p Im the only guy from the Org thats in their Fantasy Football league. Oh you know I got to win people! LOL! Still have the Org in my sig, and Yoda hates it but leaves it alone. Cool guy.
Old 09-01-2008
Investor

Quote:
I agree with Escapes description of The Descent. Creepy factor goes to Descent, and I do think it was a little better. There were mistakes in Descent and though Wrong Turn played it safe that doesnt mean its better. Descent scared me more. They need a sequel to it to redeem that bleak ending, and actually there are alot of avenues they can realistically take for the sequel.
Did you not know there is already a sequel being filmed ready for release next year? and i don't know what you mean[wrong turn played it safe].
Old 09-01-2008
Super Moderator

Quote:
I will admit that I did think 'The Descent' had a creepy factor about it as well which was more than 'Wrong Turn' had since the imbred thing has been done before many times. I also didn't think of 'Wrong Turn' as real which made it fun.

Quote:
At MoFo they practically spit all over the thread denegrating Tombstone (teeny exagerration) , and one guy sent a private PM that he liked Tombstone!
lmao! You mean he sent you a pm there so as not to be scorned?

I only know of one guy who didn't care for Tombstone and that was Holden. I just recall him making a negative remark about it once. His taste in films is not even close to mine in most cases so I would expect that anyways. That dude watches some of the most weird ass movies I've ever looked up. You know, the boring dragged out artsty fartsy flicks.

Quote:
Im the only guy from the Org thats in their Fantasy Football league.
GO ROB GO!! GO ROB GO!! Go! GO! GO! GO!

Quote:
Perfect example of the differences to the Org and MoFo. Theyre snobby, and were cool as ice :p
Mm-hmm. You said it baby. You said it.

Quote:
Oh you know I got to win people! LOL! Still have the Org in my sig, and Yoda hates it but leaves it alone. Cool guy.
Yoda's one of the better administrators out there.

Quote:
Did you not know there is already a sequel being filmed ready for release next year?
They had a 'Wrong Turn 2' also but that wasn't nearly as good.