Go Back   Movie Vault Forums > General Discussion > Squittle Room

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-29-2011
Contributing Staff

I think the smoking'healthy diet thingie is not as impt as some people think. In my mums' family, half of them smoke like a chiminey, they love eating fat (I mean large fried CUBES of fat), and a lot of the oldies live well into their 90s widout getting senile. Actually, now that I think about it, Im more afraid of cancer than I am of alzheimers.
Old 07-29-2011
Actor

Years ago, I had heard that Aluminum was a suspect as probable cause of Alzheimer’s. I believe some are more susceptible than others are. Genetics, Aluminum, Zinc, bad luck. Whatever it is a terrible thing when it happens.
Old 07-30-2011
Super Moderator

^ That Aluminum thing hasn't been proven. But yes, people think it could be a cause in some people, but no proof.
Old 08-25-2011
Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tullochnz View Post
I have never met anyone with it , all I know is people with it end up forgetting everybody and everything that mattered to them in their lives-got to be hard on relatives that.
That is pretty amazing..However you may have met some one with it, and not known they had it. When in the early stages of the disease and the person knows that they have it (or at least have memory problems) most people try to hide it, and some are very good at hiding it.

Old 08-25-2011
Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PigsnieLite View Post
I think the smoking'healthy diet thingie is not as impt as some people think. In my mums' family, half of them smoke like a chiminey, they love eating fat (I mean large fried CUBES of fat), and a lot of the oldies live well into their 90s widout getting senile. Actually, now that I think about it, Im more afraid of cancer than I am of alzheimers.
I'm am also MUCh more afraid of cancer then any kind of dementia (Alzheimer is one of many forms of dementia).

As far as I know no one in my family on either side has ever had any form of dementia. Cancer on the other hand not the case..

Old 08-26-2011
Super Moderator

You can't get away from cancer compared to Alzheimers, everyone knows someone or will know someone who gets cancer sadly. My uncle has cancer now and you can hardly recognise him from all the weight loss(and he was overweight before he found out he had it).
Old 08-26-2011
Gort

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelicula View Post
Alzheimer's Disease - NHS Choices

Also, prevention according to the above link:

• Stop Smoking
  • avoid drinking large amounts of alcohol
  • eat a healthy, balanced diet, including at least five portions of fruit and vegetables every day
  • exercise for at least 150 minutes (2 hours and 30 minutes) of moderate-intensity aerobic activity (i.e. cycling or fast walking) every week as this will improve both your physical and mental health
  • stay mentally active, for example, by reading, writing or taking an adult education course

The green I follow. Third one is rather important though... eek.
Interesting, I follow the last 3. Although anyone ignoring the first 2 has more to worry about than Alzheimers. I don't really want to live to be 80 though TBH.
Old 08-26-2011
Gort

Quote:
Originally Posted by tullochnz View Post
I have never met anyone with it , all I know is people with it end up forgetting everybody and everything that mattered to them in their lives-got to be hard on relatives that.
I have now. Earlier this year, I was talking to a guy who had just rejoined our club. He is in his 70s and I hadn't seen him for maybe 4 years. He is a bit of a comedian so I thought he was at the wind up when he couldn't remember that I went out with his niece for 10 years, then he couldn't remember her name when I told him! One of my mates nudged me and gave me a look then I knew it wasn't a wind up - it was a horrible thing to see. He then only just managed to remember his own sisters name (her Mum)!!
Old 08-26-2011
Actor

I have only known one person, a friend. He was a judge. In fact I stood in front of him for a traffic violation when I was a teenager. I became friends with him years later after I got out of the Navy. I watched him from start to finish. Sad to see him slip away like that.