Go Back   Movie Vault Forums > Movie-Vault.com: The Site > Updates & Announcements

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-01-2007
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to Tyler Send a message via MSN to Tyler
MovieForums now running vBSEO and Sitemaps

After a couple months of considering the purchase of vBSEO for MovieForums.org, I finally bought and installed it a few ago.

vBSEO is a 3rd-party plugin for the forum software vBulletin which greatly improves the forum's visibility by optimizing the forum for search engines (Search Engine Optimization).

Before making my decision, I bought two copies of vBSEO and ran them on two of my other forums as case studies. It's still too early to obtain a conclusion from them, but so far the vBSEO plugin has increased their search-engine traffic pretty considerably. (Read vBSEO Case Study "B" Commencement Ľ TylerCruz.com: An Internet Entrepreneurís Journey and
vBSEO Case Study 2-Month Update Ľ TylerCruz.com: An Internet Entrepreneurís Journey if you're interested in the numbers and calculations).

vBSEO is now running on our forum, and is a very powerful application. Unfortunately for you guys, you shouldn't notice anything different other than the following, since it's really the search-engines that now view the site differently (and easier). The changes that you will notice are:

1. The "Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.0.0 " at the bottom of the site (Haha, who actually noticed that? And if you did, shame on you!).

2. The index/front page is now always the URL: http://www.movieforums.org. It is no longer sometimes http://www.movieforums.org/index.php or http://www.movieforums.org/index.php?

3. But the main change you'll notice is that the URLs are now a lot friendlier.

Here are two old URLS:

And their new search-engine friendly and human-readable URLs:

In addition, I also installed the a Google/Yahoo Sitemap plugin, which creates a very search-engine friendly Sitemap for search engine spiders to use and index.

So what does all of this mean for you guys? Well, apart from now seeing friendlier URLs, you won't directly see any differences. However, MovieForums.org should hopefully now benefit from a much better search-engine presence, hopefully bringing in a lot of new traffic and members.

I'm logging the effects and data of the vBSEO plugin for an ongoing case study on my blog, and will let you guys know if MovieForums.org sees a great increase as as a result.

Edit:

Interesting: Another thing I guess vBSEO does is automatically grab the title from the URL you're linking to and use that as the anchor text, which is why my two examples above won't make sense now.
Merendi Networks Inc.
Old 10-02-2007
Producer

Sounds good Tyler, maybe we will have more members soon
Old 10-02-2007
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
Interesting: Another thing I guess vBSEO does is automatically grab the title from the URL you're linking to and use that as the anchor text, which is why my two examples above won't make sense now.
Which is why I was confused as hell as to exactly what was unique about that second example compared to the first heheh.
Old 10-03-2007
D-List Celebrity

Tyler, may I ask what other forums you are running? Anything like this one? I'd like to check them out. Although you may have to check with the administrator before you start advertising for other sites on here... I Keed!, I Keed!
Old 10-03-2007
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to Tyler Send a message via MSN to Tyler
I run a couple dozen sites, but I'll list a few of the ones you could possibly be interested in:

Movie-Vault.com :: Over 2000 Reviews and Counting... and Movie Vault Forums :: Over 30,000 Posts and Counting... - Movie Vault contain movie reviews, news, games such as Name That Flick, and its forum is another movie forum which you may enjoy as well, if you can handle two movie forums

CookingForums.net - Friendly Cooking Discussion Forum - A forum on cooking

The majority of my sites can be found at Merendi.com
Merendi Networks Inc.
Old 10-03-2007
D-List Celebrity

Thanks!